Sands Farms

History

  • The Sands Family originated in County Cork, Ireland
  • Sands Farms was established in 1846.  Making it older than the town of Silver Lake, IN.
  • The first farm purchased was “grandfathers” farm located on the north side of Hill Lake.
  • Amber Dale and Otto Sands (brothers) managed the farm until 1950
  • John Issac (son of Amber Dale) managed the farm and taught school until 1959
  • Carl and Edythe started managing the farm in 1959
  • Carl maintained 212 acres, dairy cows, angus herd, and 10 sows while teaching and coaching at Beaver Dam School.  At the same time, Carl was also attending school to get his masters in education
  • Carl and Edythe Sands have 11 children, 9 boys and 2 girls. Their first son was born in 1953 and their youngest son, born in 1968
  • In 1977, John Sands, third son of Carl & Edythe, returned to the farm from Michigan State University with a degree in swine management.  With this education, John built his first farrow to finish hog barn in 1977.
  • In 2013, John and his oldest son, Ryan, built the first 2 barns of a 4 barn wean to finish hog operation expansion.
  • In 2014, Johns sons, Scott & Aaron Sands, built their 2 wean to finish barns.